Sunday, July 3, 2011

Getting started!

My journey into homebrewing is about to kick into gear within the next month or two. Georgie (my wife) and I are moving into a condo with a basement that will provide an optimal environment for the preparation and fermentation process.

I have decided to begin with a Northern Brewer starter kit to ease myself into brewing, most likely the Deluxe Beer Starter Kit with glass carboys.  I already have a brewkettle similar to the Tramontina Prima Stainless Steel Tri-Ply Stock Pot. Maybe at some point I will upgrade to a Megapot, which provides for a built-in thermometer, a false bottom and spout for easy draining. In addition to the starter kit, I will also have to get forty-eight to fifty-six 12 oz. empty brown glass bottles and an extract ale recipe kit.

So far the entire initial purchase is looking to be in the neighborhood of $200. Thankfully I just had a birthday and will use some funds given to me to subsidize the initial investment.  In the near future I am looking to get a wort chiller (will likely make my own) and design labels for my beers. Any graphic artists out there who would like the opportunity to design the 1st session of beer labels, please contact me and you will be sufficiently rewarded!

Stay tuned for the next chapter in my brewing experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment